Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Jet Lag and Diaper Bags

Have you ever noticed how much travel is like parenting?

I am guessing your answer is no, and not because you disagree, but more likely that you are sane enough to never have compared the two.  My mind goes places like that.  What can I say?  Introverts like to dig deep into their heads sometimes.  Like digging around that closet of clutter, you never know what you are going to find.

Travel is like parenting.  Envision either of these scenarios applying to parenting, traveling, or both.  Whichever you can relate to best.

Anyone who isn't fortunate enough to do it, always romanticizes it.
"You are so lucky!  That must be so nice to get away from work to relax/have fun." 

Wake up in a jolt to a screaming alarm. Matted hair. Bags under your eyes. Time for a shower = luxury. Throw on wrinkled clothes that may/may not have questionable stains on them. Rapidly eating your only meal of the day, a breakfast bar, while grabbing your purse/wallet, keys, bags, sunglasses, (maybe tiny human), out the door.  Why are my feet cold? Oh I forgot my shoes. Go back inside. Sleep is a memory. Silence, a dream.  Wait, where are those keys again? [insert evening version of same events]

Anyone who is fortunate enough to do it, always complains about it.  
"Ugh, this is the third time this month I have had to go to Europe.  What a nightmare."
" Ugh, this (loving, adoring) kid always needs something!  Just my luck, he now wants me to help him find his crayons so he can express his love for me by drawing me a picture.  It never ends."


The scene above is true - no sleep, little mental rest, time to yourself is history, life is dictated by the clock, days pass in handfuls rather than one by one, and being "on" all of the time, especially for an introvert like myself, can be beyond grating and draining. But here's another truth - they are two of the most educational, transformative, and rewarding experiences you can have in life.

Nothing that is easy is worth it.

Anyone who has done it, can never imagine or go back to a life without it.

The minute you catch the travel or baby bug, you had best get your postcards ready.  Because you will need to send one to your former self.  Your old way of seeing things is gone.  You will never get that back.  You will never be who you were before your eyes were opened to seeing colors you didn't know existed or to faces you never knew you could love until you laid eyes on them.  It is a rebirth.  A new education.  It is a new you.

And then there is traveling WITH children...but that is a whole other blog.

My son, already loving to travel.  Also a young gentleman,  insisting,
I repeat INSISTING to carry my luggage.  Indoor voice, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment